Profile image for 1VOICE

SOLD OUT BY EDDC AGAIN.

So EDDC have announced that they intend for a major supermarket to develop the rugby club site. This will kill the centre good and proper.
Having a business of my own and finding it extremely difficult to survive in the current economic climate this news has made my mind up to close my business at the end of this summer.
In towns and cities all over the country communities are fighting to stop the development of supermarkets but EDDC are openly begging them to come to Exmouth. WHY? because EDDC knows full well that a major supermarket will pay them handsomely for the opportunity.

A bad bad day for Exmouth.

By 1VOICE at 13:55 on 08/03/12

Re-post           

• Profile image for dimondbabe

i think it will be good to have a new supermarket. people will have more choice and not pay so much for things

By dimondbabe at 16:58 on 08/03/12

• Profile image for Gra30

I fully agree, a new supermarket will be great. This town is in desperate need and in today's climate we also need competitive prices. Thankfully we have these big businesses coming to Exmouth and let's be honest, retail wise it is the only good things we have, not including public houses and restaurants. Many of the small shops charge ridiculously high prices, one long standing hardware shop is an example. Self indulgence of being a small shop owner and then over charging has no place in todays times, every penny counts, can't wait for the supermarket to open.

By Gra30 at 20:42 on 08/03/12

You have hit the nail on the head about today's economic climate, that is why us normal folk need these shops as they compete and offer us savings.

By Gra30 at 20:46 on 08/03/12

• Profile image for RegisLudd

Yeah, they don't offer you savings. Think about it. Supermarkets offer low wage skill less employment. That kind of employment requires massive government subsidy in the form of working tax credits. How could anyone in Exmouth survive on six quid something an hour? How could anyone buy a house on that kind of money, have kids, make anything of their lives? And it's not as if they'll be learning anything which will take them up any kind of career path. These are dead end jobs. And the people on the tills will soon be replaced by machines. You fund all of those working tax credits. And when the new superstore closes the small businesses down in the town centre and the council doesn't get rates for them any more who do you reckon will make up the shortfall? You. And when those blokes who worked in those jobs go on the rock and roil who do you reckon pays for that? You. And then you go into the supermarket which costs 6 million a year in subsidies to keep open and you get ten pence off a can of beans and you think you're getting a bargain. It's called externalising costs, all businesses do it. Look it up.

By RegisLudd at 10:57 on 10/03/12

Well I am sure all those people that work in supermarkets will be very pleased at holding them in such high esteem. It is not the ones working that I am worried about, it's the dead beats or have no intention of working whether it be in a new supermarket or anywhere else. The whole system of credits and allowances is wrong but unfortunately it is not limited to Exmouth. Last time looked my taxes were not calculated by the area I live !!!!!! The supermarket would offer more jobs, more than I have seen being offered by any new small retainers lately. Your argument about the unemployed conflicts, surely any jobs offered within Exmouth are a bonus, look it up.

By Gra30 at 16:14 on 10/03/12

Shared ownership, and if you can't afford to have kids then don't have them, equally if you have to move away to work because you want more then so be it, I did. Having children is already subsidised by people like me. You seem to think you are making arguments exlusive to Exmouth, the reality is its nationwide and we should be grateful of any employment being offered.

By Gra30 at 16:18 on 10/03/12

The condescension of strangers. *rolls eyes* I've always relied on it.

Obviously the system of welfare isn't wrong. Perhaps to you all benefits are an outrage against the honest hard working blah blah blah but middlebrow Daily Mail politics are of no interest to me or anyone else that got very far past the eleven plus. What I was saying was that supermarkets are subsidised by you. That the taxes which subsidise unemployment or tax credits are not collected locally may be the point for you pragmatically - but morally, if such things register with you, it's of no moment whatsoever. *Someone* will have to pay for a supermarket in Exmouth. I'm sure you won't want to foist the cost of your supermarket on the country as a whole, since you're so dead set against people who want other people to pay their way. And the taxes which are collected in rates and the loss of them will certainly be felt by you locally.

As I attempted to point out the jobs are not quality jobs, they're dispiriting futureless jobs. Stacking petit filou on shelves at 3 in the morning for six quid an hour Fancy it? Want your kids to do it? And yet according to the EDDC website this is their idea of giving Exmouth a future - creating a town for young people. Their dystopian idea of the twenty first century makes Bladerunner look like Mary Poppins.

What we need in Exmouth are employers who train and educate and teach skills. We need employment that relates to the area, which is part of it's identity and part of the community's long term future. Local government should be attracting that kind of business here and fostering it's long term future, not swinging it's handbag under a streetlight hoping for the glad eye from an exploitative multinational.

There's never been one good argument for a supermarket in Exmouth. Not one that stood up to any kind of examination. Ever. And yet here we are with this thing still being forced on us. It's gone way past being anything to do with a supermarket now and become something to do with democracy and democratic accountability, or the lack of it.

By RegisLudd at 18:29 on 10/03/12

You may feel the use of long words somehow shows for a higher intellect, but I find your assumptions and degrading opinion of supermarket staff insulting, for all you know I may very well be that worthless, unskilled £6 sn hour person.
    To say there have never been an argument for a supermarket is absurd, we all use them and I would place a safe wager on the fact that you do. If you think the benefit system is fair then I can only assume you are one of those who is happily in receipt and benefiting from it, as do many people daily who decide to reside in the UK and live off our generousness and yet have not contributed a penny. Some of us have worked all our lives and contributed so that others can claim, ironically I am not entitled to a penny, so is that fair?

By Gra30 at 19:27 on 10/03/12

I don't need to "show for" a higher intellect. This is how I talk. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Of course I have no degrading opinion of supermarket staff and your assertion that I do is a disingenuous canard. Precisely the opposite is the case: it's because I have the utmost respect for people that I think it's degrading to make them work for a pittance, surrounded by idiotic motivational posters, with no union representation for their grievances, all night, never seeing their kids, stacking shelves in a warehouse.

I've worked in places like that. I know what they're like. I know first hand the contempt of management for staff, the dangerous work practices which are necessary in order to reach the set targets, the blind eyes which are turned to them, the institutionalised incompetence, the subtle methods of coercion and bullying.

There is no argument for a supermarket in Exmouth town centre. I'm not in the habit of saying absurd things. Despite the yards of ink spent promoting the subject in our newspapers, despite all the corporate propaganda and film flam, despite the EDDC press releases and interactive websites, and rebranded consultations and relaunches of relaunches there has never yet been one reason - not one - for a supermarket in exmouth town centre that made sense. All there's been is a tide of jargonised nonsense.

Do you think the only people who argue for things are people who directly benefit from them? What a bleak little world you must live in. I argue for things because they make sense and because they're just and fair. I don't see that it's any of your business but no, I'm not in receipt of anything from the state. I would never, on principle, accept anything from it.

Instead of demonising people who live on benefits you might more usefully consider the far greater theft perpetrated by the class of people who run this country and the people who publish the newspapers that promote the little englander xenophobia which you seem to have happily taken up. You're being had. But judging by this thread that happens to you a lot.

*Ray Winstone voice*

Sort it aht.

By RegisLudd at 21:49 on 10/03/12

• Profile image for 1VOICE

Likewise Gra30 i find your opinion of local businesses and the people who run them to be insulting.
    I own a business in Exmouth and i work seven days a week, at a lot less than minimum wage at the moment, to provide a quality service and quality products and reasonable prices but i don't have the buying power of a supermarket or a clever marketing department.
    Perhaps you would be happier if the town centre was flattened and a mega supermarket built and all us self indulgent business people could sit back and claim our benefits instead of paying our business rates, wages, taxes,vat,and all the other burdens put on local businesses.

By 1VOICE at 12:07 on 11/03/12

Well if the cap fits. Obviously you are both against a supermarket and nothing will change your opinions. I am just glad something new is coming because at present we have nothing worth writing home about.

By Gra30 at 15:18 on 11/03/12

• Profile image for hansofourland

If and it's a BIG if, a supermarket is needed at all it should definitely NOT be placed in an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.' Anyone who thinks that EDDc are looking out for our best interests need to have a reality check. Getting us all to argue about the ins and outs of whether a supermarket is needed etc, is just their way of keeping us distracted whilst they slip all our assets out the back door. We all need to stick together and keep a firm grasp of what we have in this town before we are completely sold up the river and wake up to find that our town has boarded up shops and our seafront is full millionaire complexes and privatised beaches.

By hansofourland at 00:35 on 13/05/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent