Profile image for Robin_Smith

What do you think of it so far? - The Strand redevelopment I mean! I have given links to the Seafront and Strand webcams below, mainly for benefit of those who live away from Exmouth, but I would like to know the views of Exmothians about the Strand development, particularly those who did not bother to participate in the "consultation".

The seafront webcam, http://tinyurl.com/ykdnae7 is situated near the Pavilion and can be controlled by viewers. It is a live feed, broadcasting at 20+ frames/second. The Strand has been re-designed to make it more friendly to pedestrians and work is currently underway. The Strand webcam view, http://tinyurl.com/3aksbn6 is fixed and updated approximately every second. A high resolution shot can be captured and the webpage provides links to the plan for the Strand redevelopment and to the regeneration "Master Plan"!

By Robin_Smith at 15:23 on 26/10/10

Re-post           

• Profile image for CoastalMummy

I think it's a great idea - opening up a part of town that should be more attractive and pedestrian friendly. I heard talk of creating a European piazza style feel to the place. People want that in a holiday destination, and as a local, it appeals to me, too. I know a lot of locals probably wouldn't change exmouth for anything but I think it's got a long way to go until it gets anywhere close to what it could be - the town has a lot of potential. But I do think they should re-build the Magnolia Centre though. That's a bit of an ugly scar.

By CoastalMummy at 22:04 on 26/10/10

• Profile image for Robin_Smith

I think there have been some changes from the 'Final Design' that is given on PDF (Portable Document Format) documents available from the Strand development webpage, http://tinyurl.com/394fbwr These may be improvements - such as for drainage - I will try to get updated information.

By Robin_Smith at 12:19 on 31/10/10

This is a follow-up to my post at 12:19 on 31/10/10 relating to the 'Final Design' of the Strand Gardens development. I had thought that there was a Planning Application and that the details could be obtained from the Planning Portal for the appropriate Local Planning Authority. However, I have now learned that Devon Councty Council have 'Permitted Development Rights' for the roads and pavements (i.e. highways) that surround the park (that area of the Strand Gardensthat was bounded by the low wall) and that East Devon District Council have similar rights park. Therefore, no planning applications are needed! (Except for a building within the Gardens.)

In the (former) Democratic Republic of North Tyneside such developments would be made with planning aplications and an example of this is for the Spanish City Link Road. The following is a direct link to this planning application - http://tinyurl.com/2vkdego
    - this is a long link and hopefully will be replaced by a short (and correct) version.

By Robin_Smith at 14:42 on 04/11/10

There was a report in the Exmouth Journal on 6 December that the planning application for the shelter + kiosk in the Strand would be applied for this month (December 2010) and that building would start in January (2011)! As of the date of this note, no apllication has been made (or publicised) on any the DCC website. I have tried 'phoning the Planning Department but no response yet to voicemail left on a planners telephone. I don't think it is possible to get such an application agreed before January particularly if none is made this month! Perhaps soneone closer to Exmouth could post a note when an application is registered so I can view it electronically before it goes through!

By Robin_Smith at 16:26 on 16/12/10

I seem to having a discussion with myself - very popular! My comment to the Journal's story on the 30 December about the chance to view the architect's plans in the Town Hall is as follows: -

"So the Journal's report of 6 December is not correct - DCC have not yet submitted a planning application and the likelihood of the 'shelter' being started in January 2011 is remote! By all means ask for views on the architect's proposals but give a chance to the public that is longer than 3 hours!"

By Robin_Smith at 19:58 on 31/12/10

• Profile image for angi21bc

What's happened to the proposal of building offices in the Strand? Wasn't there supposed to be offices above a Tourist Information office? It gets curiouser and curiouser!

By angi21bc at 21:28 on 04/01/11

• Profile image for rogdog

There was a presentation of the design for this building in the Town Hall yesterday
    5 Jan 2011 that was advertised in the Journal. It was an opportunity for the public to comment. I was impressed with the quality of the design,

By rogdog at 18:06 on 06/01/11

I received the following note from DCC planning department earlier today, in answer to my query of 4 January: -

"The planning application for the proposed building on the Strand will be submitted to East Devon District Council not Devon CC. Should you wish to be notified you will need to contact East Devon's Planning to arrange accordingly. The meeting that was held to brief organisations within the town followed by the open invitation to the public, held yesterday, will help to inform the commissioning panel for the building. I believe they are meeting with the architects toward the end of next week to discuss the comments received. The planning application is currently programmed to be submitted toward the end of January."

By Robin_Smith at 00:16 on 07/01/11

The application for the "Construction of new pavilion building comprising cafe, performance space, bus shelter and ancillary storage" by DCC has now been received and validated on the EDDC website. Its reference number is 11/0180/FUL. A direct link to it is: - http://tinyurl.com/4m3pzdr - hopefully this will be given in shortened form on submission of this comment. At first viewing there are no documents and (not surprisingly) no comments!

By Robin_Smith at 23:39 on 26/01/11

• Profile image for Strandman

I often read reports of people liking the new strand layout, but they don't live in the Strand. I do, and I can say that after welcoming the change I find it a complete disaster. Kids On BMX's, skateboards and scooters are often (especially school hols) weaving in and out of shoppers and doing their stunts on the new seats and the war memorial steps. Then when all those people who like the layout are tucked up in bed, we get the noise,drunken (kids !) idiots ranging from 11pm right through til 4am (Wed night is club night), various fights breaking out and of course the subsequent litter problem. I suppose it would help if the Police made a regular tour and moved these people on, but it seems the've gone to bed as well !!

By Strandman at 10:14 on 03/03/11

There is a report in the Exmouth Journal this week (26 May 2011) that the estimated cost of the Strand "pavilion" may exceed the budget by £300,000! This is reported to be thereason for a planned discussion by "the regeneration board" next week "behind closed doors" to consider a re-design. Here is a great opportunity for DCC to save some £700,000 - £400,000 plus the £300,000 - by not building it! (The bus shelter is still needed but its cost should come out of the Transport & Highways budget.)

By Robin_Smith at 19:56 on 27/05/11

• Profile image for Grapenut

Yes EDDC and DCC... forget the "Pavilion" redesign. SHOVE IT! Save the money for something that the town really does want, like an arts centre, a tourist information centre, or – dare I even suggest it? – a Job Centre! What annoys me most of all is that the sudden re-think over the Strand "Pavilion" has absolutely nothing to do with the 2,000+ signatures that were against it, the seven Exmouth town councillors who were also against it and the Police, who wrote a detailed report, against it. It's simply a cost-saving exercise. So, EDDC and DCC, please will you listen to reason? Don't build it! Exmouth doesn't want it.

By Grapenut at 20:19 on 27/05/11

Please refer to my comment dated 27/05/11 about the "behind closed doors" meeting of the "regeneration board". Is anyone (apart from the secret society that decides what Exmouth wnats) know of the outcome? If so - please post a comment and send a note to me via smith.robin@virgin.net. (I'm interested even if no one else is!)

By Robin_Smith at 20:41 on 16/06/11

• Profile image for Grapenut

There is some news here Robin. According to the local press, the designs for the Strand Pavilion will need to be revised by planners for a second time, requiring a second planning application to EDDC. According to an email from DCC's highway asset manager to the local press, the nature of the amendments is due to "local concerns about the physical space and scale of trading space", as well as concerns that the building would lead to a cost over-run of £300,000. We already knew that there were worries hat the project could go over budget, but this is the first time that we've heard that DCC might actually be aware of "local concerns" about the preposterous glass building that they've planning to shove in the middle of The Strand. However, they are still saying that the revised plans will include a performance stage and bus stop. DCC could do themselves a huge favour by completely re-thinking the project, ditching the cafe and performance stage and giving us a new Tourist Information Centre and Community Hub building in the centre of town. And, as I have said before, they should build a new cafe where it is most needed - in the Manor Gardens!

By Grapenut at 21:23 on 16/06/11

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent